Air Navigation Services (ANS) Section
ANS Section is responsible for assisting the Director General of Civil Aviation for carrying out Safety Related Regulatory Functions related to Air Navigation Services in Sri Lanka which includes Air Traffic Services (ATS), Aeronautical Information Service (AIS), Aeronautical Communication Service(ACS) and Communication Navigation & Surveillance (CNS) Services.
In order to achieve above objectives the Section is carrying out following functions;
- Review the Air Navigation Act and advise DGCA when required to amend the Act in the areas of Air Navigation Services
- Draft and Implement local Regulations, Rules and Requirements in the areas of Air Navigation Services (ANS)
- Adopt and implement the relevant Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS) contained in following Annexes to the ICAO Convention; Annex 2, Annex 3, Annex 4, Annex 5, Annex 10, Annex 11, Annex 12, and Annex 15
- Preparation of Guidance Materials for Safety Oversight Duties related to Air Navigation Services
- Training of Required Staff for Safety Oversight Functions related to Air Navigation Services
- Certification of Air Navigation Service Providers (ATS, AIS, ACS CNS Service Providers) in Sri Lanka
- Carry out safety surveillance activities and take enforcement actions on deficiencies identified in Air Traffic Service Provider, Aeronautical Information Service Provider, Aeronautical Communication Service Providers, CNS Service Provider in Sri Lanka to ensure their services are provided in accordance with the applicable standards
- Implement State Safety Programme related to Air Navigation Services and assist Air Navigation Service Provider to implement their Safety Management Systems in their organizations
- Responding to identified safety shortcomings and deficiencies in the air navigation services
- Carrying out necessary Seminars, workshops and meetings in respect of safety oversight activities
- Keeping updated with ICAO Continuous Monitoring Approach (CMA) Audit Programme in the areas ANS
- Advise/Assist ANS providers to prepare/implement National Air Navigation Plan in line with Asia Pacific Regional Air Navigation Plan
- Advise/Assist ANS providers to implement decisions taken at Asia Pacific Air Navigation Planning and Implementation Regional Group (APANPIRG) meetings
- Carrying out activities related to PANS-OPS Flight procedure design and approval of flight procedures
- Promote Performance Based Navigation to optimize the utilization of airspace.
ANS Section offers the following services:
AMHS - Handling of Aeronautical Message Handling System
AFTN - Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunication Network
AMHS/AFTN address of DGCA is VCCCYAYX and is located and handled by this section. Aviation Community can reach the CAA for any aeronautical information at this address.
Issuance of landing approvals for non-scheduled flights & overflying approvals for non-scheduled flights
Requests for landing permissions for non-schedule flights and overflying flights are processed by the ANS Section. The preferred channels of communication for such approvals are AFTN, Fax. Or e-mail.
Fax: +94 11 2304641 TP: +94 11 2358923, +94 11 2358914
Approvals for Aerial Work
Requests for aerial work (aerial photography, flower drops etc.) are evaluated and approvals are granted by the section
Approvals for Drone Operations
Requests for Drone Operations are evaluated and approvals are granted by the section.
Provision of Aeronautical Search & Rescue (SAR) Service
The ANS Section is responsible for making necessary arrangements for the provision of Aeronautical SAR within Colombo Flight Information Region (FIR).