Initial Issue of License
Any person who carries on the business of air transportation transporting passengers, mail or cargo is required to obtain a license issued by the Director General of Civil Aviation as per the existing Legislation.
Renewal of License
Air Transport Providers (Passenger) License is valid for a period of one year. License holders whose Air Transport Providers (Passenger) License expires in current year are required to renew the license by submitting an application at least 30 days prior to lapsing.
Renewal Application Form and relevant supplementary forms are available in Civil Aviation Authority official website (www.caa.lk) to download.
In future the Civil Aviation Authority will not send the Air Transport Providers (Passenger) License renewal notice to individual Agents through general post.
All correspondence regarding license renewal and other important notices will be sent out via e-mails as it will be the main channel of communication. Hence it is important to ensure that the license holder’s valid e-mail addresses and contact details are updated with this Authority. Please contact the Air Transport and Economic Regulation section to update your information.
2.1 List of documents to be submitted with renewal application
- A copy of audited financial statements for last financial year with originals.
- Staff details along with Employment Statistics Form (Proof for experience, originals and copies of certificates to prove qualifications in travel trade should be provided. Certified copies will not be accepted. Originals will be returned at the submission of application)
- Number of tickets issued within last year. This should be provided destination wise. (Refer 8 (B) of renewal application form)
- List in accordance with No.13 of Renewal Application Form
- A bank guarantee according to the Directive No. CAASLAT/01/2015 (Bank Guarantee validity period should be one year from the current license expiring date. If the license is already expired, then the validity period of the bank guarantee should start from the date which you may pay the application renewal fee to Civil Aviation Authority. Please note that the Bank Guarantees with lapsed dates will not be accepted).
Please submit duly filled application and all the supporting documents at least one month prior to expiration of the existing license to the Air Transport & Economic Regulation Section of CAASL.
The evaluation of your application will start after the completion of the aforementioned requirements and the payment of applicable fees.
2.2 Payment of license renewal fee
Payment can be made by cash or cheque to the Payment Counter of the Civil Aviation Authority before 3.00 pm on any working day. Cheques to be drawn in favour of the “CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY OF SRI LANKA”.
There will be a late submission fee for applications submitted after the license lapsing date. Please speak to the Air Transport & Economic Regulation section and confirm the renewal fee you have to be paid prior to arranging for the payment.
2.3 Time frame
The application will take approximately between one to two weeks to process upon full and complete submission of your application and supporting documents.
3.0 License collection
Expired original license is required to be returned to Civil Aviation Authority by the license holder in order to obtain the renewed license.
If the renewed license is to be collected by a person or a party other than the owner or CEO of the business, the “Collection of Air Transport Providers License” form must be submitted to the Air Transport & Economic Regulation section.
4.0 Update changes in license holder information
All license holders are required to notify Civil Aviation Authority within 14 days of any changes in their business such as;
- Change of address of its principle place of business (Form 13 : Notice of Company’s Change of Registered Office Address by Registrar-General of Companies)
- Change in the company’s or firm’s name (Form 04 : Company’s Name Change by Registrar-General of Companies)
- Change in the ownership/ Shareholding or any other information that is material to the company
A formal letter of request must be forwarded to the Director General of Civil Aviation by agency / accountable manager of the agency by requesting the change along with the required proof documents and a copy of current license.
The Authority will issue an amended license if necessary and an amendment fee will be applicable for same.
5.0 Conducting business with a lapsed license
It is a Punishable Offence and the Director General of Civil Aviation will take legal action according to the provisions enclosed in the section 97 of the Civil Aviation Act no. 14 of 2010 and relevant regulations against the Air Transport providers who do not possess a valid license.
Failure to renew the license on time shall result in termination of GDS connections within 30 days of license expiry date without further notice and the relevant parties will be notified accordingly.
6.0 Contact information
You may contact Air Transport & Economic Regulation Section on 0112358888 for further assistance on Air Transport Providers (Passenger) License renewal.
* Renewal application and supplementary forms are available below in fillable PDF format. (Adobe Reader Version 7 or higher is required to fill the forms electronically)
- Renewal Application Form
[ PDF - 573 KB]
- ATP Renewal Checklist
[PDF - 84 KB]
- Sample Bank Guarantee
[PDF - 244 KB]
- Directive on Conduct of the Business of Air Transport by Travel Agents Registered with Civil Aviation Authority of Sri Lanka
[PDF - 2.10 MB]
- Employment Statistics Form
[PDF - 530 KB]
- Collection of Air Transport Providers License
[PDF - 312 KB]
- Directive (Requirements for Registering of Air Transport Providers (Travel Agents))
[PDF - 312 KB]