1. Age -
For PPL conversion not less than 17 years.
For CPL conversion not less than 18 years
For ATPL conversion not less than 21 years
2. Medical fitness (Class I/2).
For PPL conversion – Class 2
For CPL conversion – Class 1
For ATPL conversion – Class 1
3. Security Clearance (If applicable)
4. Licence Conversion Examinations (Ref. Implementing Standards 008 for more details)
5. English Language Proficiency. (Level 4 or higher)
6. Shall hold a current licence together with a current Medical certificate issued by the foreign State.
7. Foreign Licence shall have been issued in compliance with the minimum requirement of ICAO Annex I.
8. Verification of the licence from relevant foreign CAA.
9. Flying experience as per Appendix 3 to IS 72
10. Successful completion of skill test.
11. Other requirements stipulated in Implementing Standard 72 and Implementing Standard 008.
Procedure for the Application
- Register with the computerized Licensing System through www.caa.lk CAASL Licensing system
- Create the user profile
- Submit the PPL/CPL/ATPL issuance application form
Attach the following documents to the application and hand over the copies to the TOPL Section
1. Valid Foreign Licence
2. Current I Medical Certificate
3. Log Book copies certified by ATO
4. Summary report with detailed breakdown of flying experience for PIC Cross country and Night and Instrument flying
5. NIC / Passport copy
6. Birth certificate.
7. Stamp Size 2 colour photos (2x2.5 cm)
8. Other relevant Certificates issued by ATO
- If you need any assistance to create the profile or add new application, press the “Help” button.
- Visit the Training Organization & Personnel Licensing (TOPL) Section with the original log Book, other original documents and completed counter checklist.
- Make the relevant payment to commence the process of evaluation of the application.
- Log book will be returned to you by hand after the evaluation.
- Pass Conversion examinations / ELPC conducted by CAASL
- Pass the Medical examination conducted by CAASL
- Flight Examiner will be appointed by Director Training Organization & Personnel Licensing
(DTOPL) and letters will be sent to the relevant examiner with a copy to you.
- SPL shall be valid at the time of the skill test.
- After completion of the skill test, report shall be sent DTOPL for processing.
- Licence verification is to be received directly from the respective foreign CAA.
Please note that if you have not completed the experience requirement as per IS 72, you are required to complete the balance training in Sri Lanka.
Application will not be processed unless the applicant produce all required original certificates /documents to TOPL section of CAASL and make the relevant payments.
Application/Document submission time: 9.00 am – 12.30 pm
Document Collection time: 1.30 pm – 3.30 pm
More detailed requirements can be found in Implementing Standard 72 and SLCAP 3010
Click here for frequently asked questions on PPL.
CAASL Approved Flying Training Organizations Click here