Medical examination at AMC
What to take with you
If you wear glasses or contact lenses you must bring your most recent optician’s report along to the examination.
AMS will be able to help you with any additional individual preparations you need to make before your appointment.
What to expect at your examination
You will need to complete the medical certificate application form. This is a signed declaration containing the following:
• Facts about your medical history
• Whether you have had a medical examination before, by whom and the result
• Whether you have ever been assessed as unfit or had a medical certificate suspended or revoked
Download a blank Medical application form (CAA/PL/E/01) - Please refer to Applications under Aeromedical Services
You may be asked to complete the form in advance of your appointment.
A medical examination at the AMS may take up to 4 hours. Please ensure to be present at AMS in time.
A medical certificate can be issued on the same day as the examination if all the requirements are met.
However, if the requirements are not met or further investigations are necessary then a decision on your fitness for a medical certificate will take longer.
The initial medical certificates will be issued after the authorization of the Medical Assessor.
• Depends on the Class of your medical certificate.
• The period of validity of a Medical Assessment shall begin on the day the medical examination is performed.
• The period of validity of a Medical Assessment may be extended, at the discretion of the AMS, up to 45 days.
A Class 1 medical certificate is valid for 12 months, unless you are 40 or over and carry out single pilot commercial air transport operations carrying passengers; or you are over 60. In both cases, it is 6 months.
Class II PPL/SPL are valid for 60 months.
Check validity period of each Class of Medical Certificate
If you do not revalidate your certificate in the 45 days leading up to its expiry date, you will need to have it renewed.
You can renew a medical certificate by taking a renewal examination at an AMS, subject to the following conditions:
1. If your certificate expired less than 2 years before your application to renew it, the examiner will need to assess your aero-medical records and investigations reports required for a renewal of medical before carrying out the renewal examination.
2. If your certificate expired more than 2 years before your application to renew it then you will have to follow the same process as for initial issue.
Those who does not meet the required medical standards for a particular Class of a Medical Examination, due to physical, mental, biological and functional deficiencies will be referred to CAA Designated Consultants of various specialties for specialized opinion.
List of AMS Designated Consultants
If necessity arises, those who has above medical conditions will be assessed by a Medical Board consist of panel of Medical Examiners headed by the CAASL Medical Assessor and the decision will be taken on the best judgment giving due consideration to flight safety and the safety of passengers.
Medical investigation information