Fly your drone legitimately!!!
Register your drone and apply for airspace approval
Register Your Drone
It is a pre-requisite for the OPERATION of a drone. Please send the completed Form CAA/AS/019 via email.
Drones are categorized based on the Mass (MTOM);
1. Category D= 200 g or below
2. Category C= Above 200 g but at or below 1 kg
3. Category B= at 1 kg but below 25 kg
4. Category A= at 25 kg or above
|If Drone’s weight is 200g or less which is not fitted with any data capturing or data retrieval tools such as a camera, there is no need to register with CAASL.|
Change of Ownership and Deregistration
If you have purchased a CAASL registered drone, or if you want to sell CAASL resgistered drone, please complete the form CAA/AU/012 and send us via email.
If your drone is uncerviceable, please send the completed form CAA/AU/012 to deregister the drone.
Apply for Drone Flying Permission
A. Upon completion of registration, you can apply for drone operation permit/approval.
Part I - Security Clearance from the OCDS (Mandatory)
• At first obtain the Security Clearance from the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff (OCDS).
• Submit your request to OCDS (at least 5 day prior of the operation) via email using the sample letter given.(OCDS Sample request letter).
• Contact details of OCDS:- Tel: +94 11 2674503; +94 11 2674506
Part II- Approvals from the Other Respective Authorities
• In parallel to the above Part I please obtain “NO OBJECTION” Letters from respective local authorities which has the control overs the locations that you intends to operate your drone.
I. for operations over any archeologically important sites in Sri Lanka, please obtain a “NO OBJECTION” from Department of Archeology.
Contact Detail - Director General of Archeology
Department of Archeology
Sir Marcus Fernando Mawatha
ATTN: Director /Promotions
TP: + 94 11 2688326
Fax: + 94 11 2665882
II. for operations over any conservation site such as any Forest, National park, Nature reserves or wildlife. Please obtain “NO OBJECTION” letters from Department of Wild Life or Forest.
B. Request for operation approval from CAASL through CAA/AS/017 form via email together with OCDS letter, and Insurance cover (at least to cover 3rd party damages) at least 2 working days prior to the operation.
If any of your locations are within restricted or prohibited areas, please send the GPS coordinates of the locations together with CAA/AS/017 Form.
C. You may make the payment to this Office by person or pay via online.
The online payment is available at the home page of www.caa.lk. 3% of the total payment will be deducted by the Bank as a convenience fee from the payee via online payment.
Kindly indicate the method of payment in CAA/AS/017 Form.
CAASL will contact you via email with the payment details, prior to issuing the approval permit.
Once after the payment you may collect your approval letter from this Office or if the payment is via online, the approval letter will be sent to you via email.
D. Fly your drone safely
• Make sure you adhere to the drone operation rules and regulation published by this office.
• Make sure that your drone is insured to cover any 3rd party injuries/ damages.
• Check your drone before each flight and read the conditions stipulated in the CAASL approval.
• Do not make changes to the drone, unless approved by the manufacturer
• Operate your drone within the performance limitations defined in the instructions provided by the manufacturer
• Familiarize yourself with the area where you want to operate your drone
• Before each flight, check the limitations of the area where you want to operate, defined by the CAASL, and respect them
• Do not fly in the proximity of airports, helipads, areas affecting public safety or where an emergency response effort is ongoing
• Do not fly over sensitive or protected sites (prisons, military bases, power plants, etc.)
• Check the weather conditions
• Do not use the drone to carry any goods or do not drop any items.
• Keep the drone in sight at all times
• Maintain a safe distance between the drone and people, animals and other aircraft, do not overfly people or assemblies of people.
• Do not take photographs, videos or sound recordings of people without their permission. Respect people’s privacy, civil rights and civil liberties of 3rd party.
• Inform local police & CAASL immediately if your drone is involved in an accident that results in a serious or fatal injury to a person, or that affects a manned aircraft. Please report via Mandatory Occurrence Report which is at downloads.
Model Aircraft Flying
An individual or a member of flying club can send request for operational approval from CAASL.
You need to submit following information.
Complete CAASL form CAA/AU/013 together with;
- List of model aircraft with the details of type, model, operating frequency, weight and fuel type (Attachment I)
- List of members of the Club with their Full Names, NIC , Addresses and Contact numbers (Attachment II)
- Operating area with GPS coordinates of corner points of the area
- Consent letter from the location owner
- Dates of intended operations
Register as a Drone Assembler/Repair, Seller or Importer Organization
Privately Build Drones
If your Unmanned Aircraft is built using assembly kit which contained a serial number in the control board please use form CAA/AS/019 for Registration.
If there is no serial number in your Unmanned Aircraft use this Form CAA/AU/011.
Inform local police & CAASL immediately if your drone is involved in an accident that results in a serious or fatal injury to a person, or that affects a manned aircraft. Please report via Mandatory Occurrence Report CAA/AS/018.
- Tel: 011-2358817 /819